Monday, January 24, 2005

Baselining 10,000 steps to health

Being one to practice what I preach, and having been looking into creating a 10,000 steps (a day) culture in organizations I started to find out my baseline.
I have a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 27, weigh 93 kilos and used a pedometer for a week to see how many steps I normally take.

I also took a picture of myself without a shirt to show the starting point.

Conclusions: The picture is too awful to show. A healthy BMI is less than 25 so I have a ways to go. And my average number of steps is around 7,000 a day.

A lot of Americans do 2,000 to 3,000 a day, as they use their cars a lot. They say 6,000 will keep you at the level you are. 10,000 is what your body “is built” for.

My 7,000 explains why I do not go up in weight, but also that I am not doing enough to loose any. I am now experimenting to find ways to walk that little extra. For example, returning from a meeting I took the commuter train to the stop nearest my house. Gives a 25 minute walk.

I found a bus line that goes from my house and stops 4km from my friend, So I took that and walked instead of going station to station on the underground.

Noted: it is not easy to see all the paths to walk and connections to public transport, even in Sweden. Must be even harder in the US where they don’t even have sidewalks!

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites